Sunday, July 15, 2018

1816-18 Eliza Ogden writes of life at Litchfield Female Academy

1816-1818 Eliza A. Ogden's Journal Book

Litchfield Female Seminary in Connecticut

July I8, 1816, I arrived at Litchfield the 3rd of July. I went to Mrs Bull's to board. The next day I went to school in the afternoon, but I did not learn my lesson. Thursday I arose in the morning very early, ate breakfast, studied until the bell rang. I went to school, learned a lesson in Geography in the forenoon, in Grammar in the afternoon

Friday I was examined in the Elements of Geography. Saturday I learned a lesson in Geography, and was examined through the rules of the school. Sunday I attended Church, heard Mr. Beecher preach. He took his text in Luke the 3rd Chapter and 7th verse in the forenoon, and in the afternoon in the 2nd Epistle of the Corinthians, 7th Chapter and 3rd verse. He preached very affecting indeed; he wished to have us all be good Christians. After meeting I went home, and in the evening went to Conference. After Conference I went home, went into my room, thinking of what Mr. Beecher had said. I arose this morning as usual. I went to school, recited my lesson in Sacred History and went to writing my Journal and have just finished it.

July 22, 1816. Monday, after I read my Journal, I spent the rest of the afternoon in writing. After school I went home and studied my lesson for the next day. The next morning 1 arose, ate breakfast and studied my lesson until I went to school. I said my lesson very well. I went to writing. In the afternoon I recited in Grammar and Geography and did not say them as well as I could wish, but I hope that I shall do better the next time. Saturday after school I went home and thought I would take a walk; I concluded to go to Pine Island; part of the scholars accompanied me. We had a very pleasant walk indeed; we went almost there and we could not see the water or any thing that pleased us very much and the girls would go no farther. Coming back it rained and wet us some. I went to the Post Office expecting to get a letter, but I was very much disappointed not to find any there; I have not had any since I came from home. Sunday I went to meeting; we had an excellent sermon; he preached from Luke. I attended Conference last evening; we had very good advice; he prayed for us, made a very long prayer. This morning said my lesson very well. I did not miss.

July 29, 1816. Monday morning before I went to school I began to write my Journal and finished it in the forenoon and read it in the afternoon. After I went home and attended to the duties of the evening I retired to my chamber. Tuesday I recited a lesson in Geography in the forenoon, in Grammar in the afternoon. After I went home Mrs. Bull mentioned two very sudden deaths, of a young gentleman and a negro, that were drowned. Wednesday I had my holiday. Thursday I recited my lessons as usual. Friday there was not any school in the afternoon. I recited my lesson in Geography in the forenoon. We were examined in Geography Saturday in the forenoon, I missed a good many times. Sunday I went to church; heard Mr. Beecher; after I went home I read till it was dark. This morning I arose as usual, made an apron before I came to school; after I came to school I recited in History, said my lesson very well missed only half a quarter.

Aug 1. Monday morning I went to school recited my History lesson and wrote my Journal. Tuesday I recited my lessons as usual; after school Miss Logan and Miss Ayres came here and drank tea; Miss Logan informed us that she was going to leave the school this week. Wednesday went to school in the forenoon; while there Miss Whittlesy informed me that there was a letter in the Post Office for me. I went down as soon as school was out and got the letter. They were all well. My Aunt, who was sick when I left home, was better. In the afternoon Miss Eliza Camp and Miss Keeler came to make us a visit; after tea they walked on Prospect Hill. Thursday as usual nothing occurred worth relating. Friday recited a lesson in Geography; in the afternoon was examined I missed very little. Saturday after we had answered to the rules of the school, Mr. Cornelius came. He said many of the scholars were going away and he wished us if we had any disturbance or any thing against each other to forgive one another before we parted and if ever we met again to meet as friends. He said that every year. Four of Miss Pierces scholars had died and if four should die every year for twenty years how many would there be left. How necessary it is to look to the preservation of our souls so that we may all meet in heaven. After school Miss Butler went to the Post Office. . . .

Aug. 12, 1816. Monday morning I learned a lesson in Sacred History; in the afternoon I recited in Grammar. Tuesday in Geography and Grammar. Wednesday I had the pleasure of receiving two letters from home; they were very unexpected. They enjoyed pretty good health. Papa and Mama will visit us this fall. In the afternoon Miss McNeal visited Miss Beecher and just at sun-down she invited me to take a walk with her and Miss Beecher on Prospect Hill; we had a very pleasant walk indeed. When we arrived at the top of the hill Miss McNeal said that she always liked to look at that little cottage under the hill; it looked so rustic and retired, to which Miss Beecher replied that she thought it was more pleasant to look at than to live in, a very true observation I think. After a stay of some minutes we concluded to go home. It was quite cool and we had no shawls with us. We went home and Miss McNeal said it was time for her to return home as she was going to Conference. She took leave of us and I spent the evening at Miss Beecher's. Friday I was examined in Geography. I missed very little. In learning the State of New York, when we came to the rivers, I learned that the Delaware River had its source from Lake Utstagantho. I should have thought that I would have known where it arose as I have lived close by the River. When I was coming here I saw the head of it, but I did not know as it arose in any other place. After school I went home and Miss Haine's brother came there soon after. How happy I should be to find one of my brothers there. Saturday was examined in the rules of the school. Mr Beecher was not at home and therefore he did not come into the school as usual. Mr. Cornelius came into the school for the last time. He explained to us the situation of other nations, of the Heathen Idolators who never heard of a Bible. I think as we live in a christian land we ought to look to the preservation of our souls. Sunday I attended the Church of England. I think I never heard so good a sermon in my life. He compared a death-bed repentance to a man and his son. He said if you put it off till on your death-bed it would not be received, for perhaps if we ever got well again we would return to the world again and be as sinful as ever. He said it was nothing but fear; it was not for the love of God but for the fear of death, and he said if a man's son was very disobedient to him he would chastise him and his son would repent and promise to do so no more, but it was only because he feared him; it was not because he loved him any better than he did before

Aug 26. 1816 Monday I arose, studied my History lesson, went to school, recited and began to write my Journal. In the afternoon I learnt a lesson in History. Tuesday in the afternoon I recited in Geography and in the afternoon I learnt a lesson in Grammar. After school I went down to the Post Office, received a letter from my parents. I was very glad to hear from them, including the death of one of my cousins who died very sudden. Wednesday I had my holiday. I did not attend school. In the afternoon I was making my frock. Miss Hurlbert and Miss Stanly came and took tea with us. After tea we swung a little while and I went home with them as far as the school house. Mr Frasure preached there that evening. He seemed very anxious to have us all be religious and be saved. Thursday as usual I did not attend meeting. Friday I was examined, missed a considerable. Saturday I worked on my frock untill it was time to go to school. I was examined. The definitions were read. Some were very good. Mr Frasure came into the school. He made an excellent exhortation, pointing out to us the road to happiness. He said if we had a mind to be religious we could leave all and follow Christ. It was nothing but our own stubborn will that we did not. After school he visited at Mrs. Bull's. He gave us some excellent advice. He went to every one of us was very particular and plain. He advised us what to do and how we must do to be saved. Sunday I attended public worship. Mr. Frazure preached from 2 Corinthians 7th Chapter and 10th verse: "For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death." After meeting he came to see us again. He said he could not bear to part with us without our having religion. He invited us to go to meeting that evening as he was going to preach. I went. Monday I came to school; was examined in Sacred History. I missed very little. After I had recited I went home and wrote my journal.

Litchfield Sept 2, 1816 Monday morning I recited a History lesson, wrote my Journal and read it in the afternoon. Tuesday morning I studied my Geography lesson untill school time. After I recited I wrote copy hand untill school was dismissed. In the afternoon I learnt a Grammar lesson. After school I went down to the Post Office; received a letter from home. They all enjoyed pretty good health. Wednesday forenoon, as usual; in the afternoon I had my holiday, but I came to school two hours. After school I spent my time in writing. Just at sunset Mr. Eeecher came down to see us. He talked very affecting. He said he could not make a very long visit with us at present, but if we wished he would come in some time and pray with us. We all joined in the request. I should be very glad to have him come for I like to hear religious instructions. Thursday I recited my Geography lesson in the morning and went home to write a letter. In the afternoon I recited in Grammar and parsed. Friday I learnt a Geography lesson in the morning. In the afternoon there was no school. Saturday forenoon I was examined through the lessons of the week, in the afternoon through the rules. Sunday I attended church. Mr. Beecher delivered an excellent sermon pointing out the road to happiness. In the afternoon I attended the Church of England. We had a very good sermon. Monday recited a lesson in Sacred History, went home and wrote a letter to my parents.

Sept 9, 1816 Monday forenoon, as usual. In the afternoon finished my letter. After I came home from writing school I swung a little while along with our new boarders. Tuesday morning I studied my lesson untill school time. Then I went to school and recited a very good lesson. Mr. John's, Nancy's uncle, came after her quite early in the morning. He had brought two young ladies with him to stay as long as Nancy did; very pretty girls I think and I find in becoming acquainted with them they are two of the most amiable girls I ever was acquainted with. Sarah and Minerva Hinkle were their names.''

Sept 24. Monday morning I studied my History lesson, went to school and recited very well. In the afternoon I studied the same. Tuesday I learnt a Geography lesson in the morning: the afternoon a lesson in Sacred History, as usual. Wednesday morning the same. In the afternoon I was allowed but a part of my holiday because I staid out of the house when it rained. After I staid two hours I went to writing school. Thursday, as usual. Friday I attended school, recited a lesson in Geography. In the afternoon was examined in Geography and Elements. Received 2 credit marks for one and 18 for the other. Saturday was examined in the rules, after which Miss Pierce read four verses; said we must remember them or have a miss. The first was "What was sin? Sin is any want of conformity unto or transgression of the law of God The sin whereby our first parents fell was their eating of the forbidden fruit, the covenant being made with Adam not only for himself, but for all his posterity. All mankind from him by ordinary generation sinned in him and fell with him in his first transgression. By one man's disobedience many were made sinners. The fall brought mankind into a state of sin and misery by one man sin entered into the world." Sunday attended meeting in the forenoon, but I did not Saturday afternoon. I went to writing school. We were coming home and met my uncle. It was very unexpected. He went to Mrs Bulls and drank tea. Monday I did not go to school. About two o'clock my uncle started for home. It was so late that I did not go to school in the afternoon and there were no lessons to get. . . .

Friday it was general training and there was no school in the morning. I went down to the school house and saw them on the parade. In the afternoon I went down to Miss Jones, to see the sham fight . I liked it very well. Saturday morning Miss Pierce said that the rules might be called in the forenoon and be examined. In the afternoon I was examined in Elements and Geography; did not miss in either. Sunday Miss Marsh was quite sick and I did not go to meeting. Saturday Mr. Brace read a little story about the beggar boy, how he met with a rich gentleman, and as he looked very poor he asked him to go and live with him and he would take care of him. He looked considerable out of health too, but he would not. He endeavoured to persuade him by telling him his name and where he lived, but in vain. The boy was insensible of the offers made to him. The gentleman threw him down a shilling. The boy caught it up without thanking him or giving him any of his matches or offering to go with him. He went away and returned. His companions slept with him that night as thoughtless as ever. While Mr. Brace was reading it Miss Pierce made observations upon it. She said it was the same thoughtless creatures that we are that appeared the same in the Lord's eyes as he did to the rich man; that the money he gave him was like the blessings that we received every day. When the gentleman asked him to live with him it was the same as when the Saviour offers us eternal life. The school stood in prayer. Sunday attended meeting. . .

Oct. 26, 1816. Nothing of importance has occurred this week. We have got through our examinations; finished yesterday morning. Have been to writing every night; began to paint free hand last night. Saturday after the names were called Miss Pierce made an address to all the girls; told them what to do when they got home. This week on Thursday went to the Church to hear the Bishop preach. He did not come in untill some time after the people got there. They sung untill he came. The chorister had a great deal of trouble to get the young ladies put in the singers seat and a great deal of trouble to make them sing well. We had an excellent sermon. I was very much pleased with the meeting. I expect papa will be here to-day. I shall be very much pleased to see him. The next week after school I shall go to Salem to see Miss Stephens. Mrs Bull is going to Hartford while we are gone. I expect to go to New Haven. I think I shall be pleased with the city as I never was there. We arrived at Salem safe and met with a very welcome reception at Mr. Steven's. Were introduced to Mr and Mrs Stevens likewise Margaret. I spent the time very pleasantly. Made a great many visits; heard a great many beautiful songs and learned one, The Frozen Widow and the Kiss.

JOURNAL FOR THE WINTER.

Dec. 1, 1816. Miss Pierce's school commenced the 27th of November on Wednesday. I was very glad to have school begin again, for I wish to improve all my time, as I am going home so soon. In the morning Mr. Brace called the girls to read and to have them explain upon what we read to show to him Saturday. In the afternoon I recited in the Elements and Geography. Mr. Brace said we must begin Elements again. Thursday was Thanksgiving day. I attended meeting. Mr. Beeeher preached an excellent sermon. Friday I recited my lessons in Elements and Geography. Mr. Brace gave our class 15 pages of Sacred History to recite in the afternoon. There was a singing school in the evening but I did not attend; it was so wet. Saturday all that wrote definitions read them and ciphered the rest of the forenoon. Just before school was out the stage came. Mr. Brace said that Miss Pierce had come. The girls were so glad Mr. Brace had to leave off school before it was time. I employed myself in sewing and studying in the afternoon and evening. Sunday about as usual.

Friday morning as usual. In the afternoon I was examined in Geography and Elements. Our class in Elements missed a great deal; did not get through until almost dark. Saturday Mr. Brace read the certificates. I had a very good one. After the rules were called Miss Pierce gave us some very good instruction. She told us what would render us agreeable to our companions. The heads Candor, Truth, Politeness, Industry, Patience, Charity and Religion which if we would observe would lead us to holiness.

Dec 14, 1816. As usual...Thursday evening Emily and myself visited the Miss Jones'. We staid there all night. We had an excellent visit; enjoyed ourselves very much indeed. Friday afternoon I was examined. The evening I spent in knitting Miss Jones was here a part of the evening. Saturday after attending to the rules the time was taken up with instruction. Miss Pierce asked us for what purpose our parents sent us here. To learn and make respectable hereafter. How were we to acquire it? By attention. But if we spent that time in sloth and idleness what commandments were we breaking? We disobey our parents and break God's commandments. After that we read around in the Bible and Miss Pierce explained it to us and told the girls their faults. I spent the afternoon in sewing; the evening in writing.

Dec. 22, 1816. Thursday evening Miss Waldo came to board with Mrs. Bull. I spent part of the evening in writing. Friday was examined as usual; the evening in knitting Miss Harriet Baker, Miss Marrin and Mary Landon spent the evening at our house; spent the evening very pleasantly. Saturday after the rules were called we all read round in the Bible and Miss Pierce explained to us what we read; that Christ was both God and man; that he came into the world to save sinners and all men through him might believe and be saved. If we should go to Heaven we could not be happy because we did not love God. I spent the afternoon in sewing; the evening in writing and reading Sunday Mrs. Bull excused me for not going to meeting. Mr. Brown came home with Minerva from singing school; spent the rest part of the evening there.

Dec. 30, 1816. Saturday we read in the Bible as usual. Miss Pierce did not explain much as Mr. Beecher came in so soon. It was the first time that he had been in to the school since it commenced this last quarter. He read the 3rd chapter of the Lamentations of Jeremiah where he wept for the daughters of my city." He said it was just so with us. He did not think it would do any good for him to come into the school; he had no idea that it would unless the Lord would look down from Heaven and bless us. Sunday attended Church. The text was from 16th Chapter of Acts, 30th verse, "Sirs what, must I do to be saved?" He said that we must repent and believe and explained how we should repent and believe, but my memory is so poor that I cannot remember it. I spent the evening in sewing and studying my History lesson. I had five hundred and forty-two credit marks in a month:

One more week has passed away and I feel as if I had not improved it as I ought to have done. Every day I am reminded of the shortness of this life. I hope I shall improve the week better. Monday was examined in Sacred History; in the afternoon in Grammar, but the class was sent back; they recited so poorly. Friday morning I was examined in the Elements. We have not had so hard a lesson this winter; we missed a very great deal. Sunday very pleasant . I attended meeting. Mr. B. spoke so low I did not hear where the text was. He told how faithful he had been to his people; be had preached to them in public and had been around from house to house &c. &c.

Jan. 14, 1817. On Monday 6th I attended school; was examined in Universal History; the afternoon in Grammar. I spent the evening in sewing. Tuesday went to school in the morning; the afternoon was not able to attend school. In the evening I went to Pierces. Miss Mary read the life of the two sisters. It was very entertaining. If I had the first evening I should have understood it much better. They were very pious, amiable girls. There mother was a very vain woman. Their father was a good christian; was very rich, but his wife squandered away all of his property. The girls were married to very fine gentlemen; they were quite rich. Returned home and studied my lesson.

Saturday Mr. Brace read the life of Miss Nancy Hyde. She had always been brought up with religious instruction. When she was ten years old she was taken sick. She said she would be willing to die if it were not for her brothers and sisters, father and mother, but she said that the Bible said she that loved father or mother better than Me shall never enter into the joy of the Lord. When she was in school she always employed all of her time; she never would laugh in school, nor even smile. She wrote excellent compositions and Mr. Brace read some of her poetry, likewise some of her Journal, which was very good. In the meantime her father died and her brother went into partnership with somebody and was cheated out of all his property, so that she went to teaching school to support her mother, but she did not teach school long before she was taken sick; she was about twentyfour years old; she had no wish to live only to support her mother, for her brother had gone to sea to make his fortune.

Jan 15 1817. Week as usual. Passed a pretty good examination for me.

Jan 26, 1817.  Monday afternoon recited in Rhetoric. In the evening Emily, Nancy and myself visited at Miss Pierces. We spent the evening very pleasantly. Miss Smith and Miss Landon came in while we were there asked Miss Adams to take a sleigh ride. She went and returned just before we went home. Saturday Mr. Brace read a sermon from Chronicles; if our parents were wicked and us also, their punishment would be more if possible, and for that reason we had ought to be religious like wise for the feelings of christians; if we should not become religious until we grew old we should think that perhaps they left the world because they had no pleasure in it and would not know whether they had a good heart or not; they would be unhappy because they spent their youth in such a thoughtless manner, but how the reverse, those that remember their Creator in the days of their youth they will be happy in their old age; they can think how they spent their youth in loving and obeying the Lord? Many children whose parents have not religion, by becoming pious themselves have been the means of converting their parents. Sunday I attended meeting. It was very comfortable, as we rode.

Monday Feb 4 1817. I attended school as usual last week; have generally spent the evenings in sewing and knitting and have recited the same lessons during the week. Thursday we parsed and I got quite a new idea — that no was not an adverb or adjective. I think Mr. Brace has a great many queer ideas about parsing, but I expect it will be parsed as a compound of not any. Friday I did not miss but half a Quarter in both examinations. (0, what a smart girl was I). Friday evening Miss Rowe went down to her uncle's and I had to sleep with Nancy, which I was not very much pleased with. I thought I had ought to sleep with Emily; not give up my bed for Miss Waldo. Saturday the whole school read round in the Bible the first chapter of Proverbs. Miss Pierce asked what was the beginning of knowledge? The fear of the Lord, but fools despise wisdom and instruction. My son, hear the instruction of thy father and forsake not the law of thy mother; that we must obey our parents; improve all of our time; it should be better to us than the richest ornament; if we were enticed to sin by any of our mates consent not . Wisdom crieth without; she uttereth her voice in the streets. God is present every where; he calleth in the streets and we will not hear; when we call upon him we shall not be heard; in our distress and anguish then we shall call upon the Lord for mercy, but he would laugh at our calamity and mock when our fears cometh for they hated knowledge and not choose the fear of the Lord, therefore they shall eat of the fruit of their own ways; when thou liest down thou shalt not be afraid for the Lord would be our confidence. I spent the afternoon in drawing on my map. Sunday I attended meeting. Mr Wyck preached a sermon from the Epistle to the Ephesians 22nd Chapter and 1st verse on total depravity. I was very much pleased with it, though many were not. 1 thought he explained it very well indeed.

JOURNAL FOR THE SUMMER OF 1817.

I arrived at Litchfield the 30th of August; was five days coming; had a very pleasant journey and met with a very welcome reception at Litchfield September 21st, 1817.

Monday I recited a lesson in Universal History in the morning. In the afternoon I recited a lesson in Rhetoric. I spent the evening very pleasantly with some of Miss Edward's boarders.

Tuesday morning arose very early, attended to my usual studies, attended school, recited a lesson in Elements. In Switzerland the greatest curiosity was the Alps, being so high and always covered with snow. The glaciers, vast bodies of ice, from which the lights reflect in ten thousand brilliant forms. I recited a lesson in Rhetoric. Likewise I recited a lesson in History in the afternoon. I spent the evening very pleasantly. Wednesday, as usual, some of Mr. Beecher's boarders. Thursday and Friday my usual lessons. Friday afternoon was examined in Geography, Elements and Rhetoric. I missed very little.

Saturday Miss Pierce gave us some very good instruction wishing us to improve our time so as to satisfy our parents as she did all she could towards our improvement. I certainly think she does and I am sure it will be my endeavor to improve my time to the greatest advantage, so that when I return home I shall deserve and receive the fullest approbation of my beloved parents for the improvement of this summer. Nothing is so desirable as the approbation of our parents.

Sunday I attended meeting. Mr. Beecher preached a very good sermon, quite as good as he usually does, though I do not think he is one of the best of preachers.

We have received a considerable company this week. Saturday Miss Pierce called us to read in the Bible, after which she gave us some very good instruction, as she always does. Sunday I did not attend meeting. The next week was spent as usual. Saturday after the rules were called Miss Pierce went for Mr. Beecher. She said she wished us to pay particular attention to what he said as he was not going to be here but two or three Saturdays more; he was going a long journey again, at which all the girls joined in a laugh. I suppose it was because he was going to Boston to buy him a wife. The last three weeks have been spent as usual. There has been a ball. The young ladies of Miss Pierce's school went — all that were over fifteen. I went through my lesson and examination in Elements without missing for which I had a number of additional credit marks. The credit marks were read last week for the summer. I had 721 for what time I had been here. Miss Pierce said I had done very well indeed.

Monday Oct. 13th Mr Brace began his general examination in chemistry this morning and will examine all his classes in a fort-night from tomorrow, as school will be out at that time. How quick the flight of time! It passed without my hardly knowing it. It appears as if I had a great while to stay yet, but it will soon pass away, I am afraid before I am prepared to go home. I do not know how I shall ever repay my parents for their goodness in sending me to school, but I think if I improve myself as much as they expect and to their satisfaction they will want me to repay them no better. It certainly must afford great pleasure to parents to see their children walking in the ways of wisdom and prudence. I have received four letters from home and feel very anxious to receive another, so as to know when Zenos and Julia are coming: I have been looking for them as much as a fortnight and was quite disappointed in not receiving a letter last Saturday to inform me they were coming. I have been through my examinations much to my satisfaction. This vacation Mrs Bull was going to take her niece home (Sarah Smith who lived in Weathersfield), and they invited me to go with them and we would go and visit Hartford, the Capitol of Connecticut. I was very much pleased with going and accepted it of course; so we started off about 9 o'clock in the morning with one of the dumbest old horses that ever was. Sarah and I walked most all of the way for fear he would not live until we arrived; however, we went through safe, but it was quite late in the evening and very dark, so that we could not see where to drive, but we at last arrived. Mrs Smith soon recognized her daughter and after an embrace with her, shook hands with us. We ate our supper (which was a very good one). We soon retired to rest. We slept up stairs in a very pretty room and the best bed that I had slept on since I left home; and the room was very prettily furnished and everything looked neat . The next morning we were awakened by Mrs. Bull. When we went down there was a large fire built for Sarah and me, for we sat alone most of the time. We had a very good breakfast and after breakfast Mrs Bull asked me if I had a mind to go to Hartford that day. I chose to go and Sarah went with us. We spent the forenoon in trading with Mrs Bull. After Mrs Bull had purchased all her stores for the winter we went to Mrs. Welles, a friend of Mrs. Bull, and ate dinner, Charles Welles' mother, the one that Mrs Bull promised to have meet Emily when I was here before, but he was not at home. He had gone to New York and was going from thence to Philadelphia. After spending a few hours there we left the city for Weathersfield and arrived about dark; spent the evening very pleasantly with Sarah until it was time to retire. After a pleasant night's sleep, I arose quite early with a heavy heart as I knew that I was to leave Weathersfield with all that it contained. After going down stairs and eating breakfast Mrs Bull informed me that she should return to Litchfield that day. Mrs. S. urged her to spend another day, but nothing would stop her, she would go. So about one o'clock in the afternoon I bid farewell to Weathersfield and rode as far as Farmington (a beautiful town) and called at Miss Roe's a mantua maker and drank tea. She boarded at Mrs. Bull's last winter. When Emily was with me, she informed me a good deal of what happened after we left Litchfield between Miss Waldo, Mrs. Bull and Mr. Smith, and a quarrel she had in school. One morning she went to school and it was very cold and she went to go in and found the door was

Dec. 1, 1817. After spending a pleasant vacation in Litchfield, I entered school on Wednesday. I recited a lesson in Elements in the morning; did not miss. Thursday there was no school as it was Thanksgiving. I did not attend meeting. Friday morning arose very early, attended school, recited a lesson in Elements. I recited in Rhetoric in the afternoon. I spent the evening as usual. Saturday there was a school in the forenoon. I recited in Elements and was sent to my seat for which I felt very much ashamed. After the lessons were through Mr. Brace called for the definitions which we were all appointed to write. My words were the difference between obtain and attain. I wrote that obtain was most generally applied to natural or visible things — attain to something intellectual or mental. After school I sent to the Post-Office after letters; received two, one from my cousin Emily Butler and one from Miss Sherwood, my school friends. I spent the evening in reading. Sunday Mrs Bull excused me for not attending Church. Monday attended school, recited in Elements, and was again sent to my seat, but I hope I shall not be sent back again. In the afternoon recited in Rhetoric and wrote a part of my Journal.

Dec. 4th. I have recited my usual lessons this week; have not missed but once. Friday I was examined in Elements and Rhetoric; went through without missing. Mr. Brace gave all those that did not miss leave to go home. I went home and painted until dark. I spent the evening in sewing. Saturday attended school. After the rules were read Miss Pierce asked us all questions in the Bible from the first six chapters in Acts. Soon after Mr Beecher came in and gave us a lecture on the first question of the catechism. "What is the chief end of man? To glorify God and enjoy Him forever" He said that in order to glorify God we must love Him and become acquainted with him and likewise endeavour to acquaint our companions with his goodness as we would if we had a friend at home who was very amiable, and tell our companions how amiable she is; It would be glorifying her. I employed the afternoon in sewing. and was very much disappointed at night by not receiving any letters from my friends. The week as usual After I had gone through my examinations, Mr. Brace gave me leave to go home. I spent the remainder of the afternoon in drawing and painting. Saturday Mr. Beecher came and gave us a lecture from the catechism. Sunday morning very unpleasant and Mrs Bull excused us from going to church. I spent the day in writing and reading and the evening in sewing.

Dec. 21st Thursday. Miss Fowler informed me that I was appointed Lieutenant in her division, for which I was very sorry, as I do not think I am able to perform the office as well as it ought to be performed. The afternoon was spent in parsing; the evening, as usual. Friday recited my usual lesson in the morning. In the afternoon I was examined in Geography, Elements and Rhetoric; but did not miss, but was not examined through the whole examination in Geography. In the evening Miss Denison and Miss Landon called at our house and spent the evening. We had a number of very good songs sung by Miss Landon. Saturday after the rules were called Mr Beecher come in and gave us a lecture from the third, fourth and fifth question of the Catechism. He said that there were three persons in the Godhead, the Father, Son and Holy Ghost; that each possessed a different mind, but were equal in power and wisdom; that the power of the Father was to creat, that of Son, to redeem, and that of the Holy Ghost to convert. That there was no mystery in their being three persons, that the mystery was in their being united in one. Sunday it was so cold that we could not keep warm by a large firo and Mrs. Bull excused us from going to meeting. I spent the time in writing to my dear Cousin Emily in answer to the one I received Saturday. Monday morning it was very cold. I went to school and met with a sad accident getting over the fence. So that I was obliged to go home. I did not attend school in the morning. In the afternoon I went to school and wrote my Journal. The evening was spent in studying my lessons

Wednesday morning I went to school; recited a lesson in Elements without missing. I recited in Blair afterwards and missed a quarter. I have not missed before since I recited the first lesson. The afternoon I spent as usual; The evening also. Thursday was Christmas; an unpleasant day; went to school; recited my usual lessons; missed a half of one in Blair. There was no school in the afternoon. I spent the afternoon in drawing and writing, the evening in studying my lessons. Friday Miss Landon came to our house and drank tea. Sunday morning very pleasant. Going to meeting Mrs Bull informed me that Mr. Mason was going to preach. The text in the afternoon was from 1st Corinthians, 15th Chapter 22nd verse; For as in Adam all die so in Christ all men shall live. After Mrs Bull returned from meeting while we were drinking tea I was very much surprised by her handing me a letter. After reading it I was still more surprised by another from her pocket which I read with equal pleasure. I spent the evening in studying and writing. Monday morning attended school; was examined in History by Miss Ann without missing I wrote my Journal. Wednesday I had my holiday in the afternoon, but Mr. Brace desired those that recited in Rhetoric to come to school as he was going to read some figures which he desired us to find and bring them to him on Wednesday after he had finished I returned home and spent all the afternoon in looking after figures, but did not find but two or three. Thursday morning I was awakened very early by Mrs Bull coming into the room to wish us a Happy New Year. I went to school and recited my usual lessons without missing. Mr. Brace said as we began the year it was most probable we should end it, and Miss Pierce said she hoped we would not for she never saw it began worse I attended to parsing in the afternoon. I could not tell what phrase to put in the room of sincerely, in a sincere manner. After we had finished parsing Mr. Brace said if the lieutenants wished to resign their commissions they could and I think I shall, although Miss Fowler wishes to have me continue in office. After school Misses Penny, Gregory, Fuller, Smith, called at our house and spent a short time. Saturday morning after the names were called I went to Mr. Brace to ask him how much the postage of my letters was. and was

very much surprised at the reception of a letter from papa which informed me that he should come for me this month if there was good sleighing. either the first of the month or the very last, as he wished to be at home in the middle of the month: I went to school in the afternoon, and when I carried in my credit marks for industry Miss Pierce thought I did not have enough and was going to take off my holiday, but Mr. Brace excused me because I had not missed in my lessons during the week. We recited in the Bible and there were a great many missed.

Jan 5th, 1818 Monday morning I attended school and recited a lesson in History to Mr. Brace, and did not miss. He told me that I ought to have been examined to Miss Pierce, as I had been through the first volume, but Miss Pierce had not told me that she wished to have me examined with them and therefore I was not. Tuesday I went to school and Mr. Brace called our names for us to chose our seats. I chose mine in the South East corner near Miss Pierce and Sarah Finkle chose hers next to me, for which I was very much pleased, as I think she is an excellent girl. Wednesday in the evening Miss Esther received some company and invited me and the rest of the boarders, into there room. I enjoyed myself very much. After spending an hour or two with them I returned into my own room, and after spending a short time in studying over my lessons I retired to bed. Thursday I attended school, in the afternoon after the lecture on philosophy was delivered we were called to take our places for parsing. I was not called any more to parse the hard questions, as I had resigned the commission of lieutenant, but I was called to parse in my turn and made a very great blunder in putting a verb in the infinitive mood in the imperfect tense. which I knew to be wrong and corrected myself as soon as possible, but it was too late. I could not have but five credit marks, but it was not for the credit marks that I cared. The evening I employed in studying my examinations, and during the evening I was very hapily surprised by Mr. Beechers coming into the room with two letters for me, one from my brother who is at school from home. Saturday I attended school and after I had carried in the credit marks for our family and the rules were called Mr. Brace began at the top of the catalogue and told the faults and good qualities of each one. I am happy to think that my conduct this winter, has been such that Mr. Brace had no fault to find with me, for I am sure it has been my endeavour, and always shall be to obtain the approbation of my instructors and parents, for I think there is nothing that can afford parents more happiness than to know that their children endeavour to improve and our tutors also. Miss Pierce did not ask our lesson in the Bible. because she had not time before Mr. Beecher came in. He gave us a lecture on the doctrine of decrees; that God knew everything as well before it came to pass as afterward. The afternoon I spent in painting, the evening in reading. Saturday in the evening Mr. Beecher and his wife came to see their Mother and Mrs Bull called us from our room to sit in the parlor and behold when we arrived we found that Mrs Bull. had invited our pastor in for the purpose of giving us some instruction which we were all very much pleased to hear. Sunday in the evening Miss Sheperd wanted to go to conference and wished me to go with her and I at last consented Saturday did not attend the lecture on Mineralogy in the afternoon because on account of the weather. Sunday I employed myself in reading the life of Mrs. Abigail Waters.